Thursday, January 12, 2006

New Toy, No Joy

Written at the Mobileplay conference table...

As a gadget geek AND mobile software developer, I must admit to feelings of mixed emotions every time I see a new device released. My pulse leaps a few rungs at the thought of another cool toy, but then my heart sinks when I peruse the specs and suddenly realize this means yet another screen configuration or OS we have to optimize for. Yikes! Such were my feelings recently when I got my hands on the new Treo 700. It's a pretty nifty device but poses some interesting dilemmas for developers. First of all it has a square screen when just about every other Win Mobile device has a rectangular screen. Secondly, it has the two button menu navigation system that Smartphone users will be familiar with, but also a touch screen. So is it a Pocket PC phone or a Smartphone? Actually, it's a hybrid of the two. And then there's the new Win Mobile 2005 operating system. More obstacles to resolve. Anyway, we know our users will want us to support this device...So the new gadget grin fades into a frown as I grab my laptop to draw up a new product spec.

No comments: